26 June 2006

11:47

outside, a heavy rain falls against th porch..th sliding door is open..it’s been a hot summer with little relief..quieter than raindrops, jay leno mumbles through his monologue..then, th screendoor slides open..i know it's th nurse..she searches for me in th television flicker..i hate how she uses th backdoor and just walks in..she finds me on th couch and i dont look up..

she left th hospital to bring me narcotics and shiraz..she is marryd but not happy..days earlier, I cut part of my finger off - my pointing finger, cutting a red pepper..th knife slipd on a seed..there is trouble w- ei..my pointing finger throbs beneath a white bandage..it bleeds through as she undoes her uniform in th middle of the room..i just want th drugs but she walks into th kitchen and uncorks..she tricks my blood..she only comes when her husband is out of town..

i don’t care;

im convinced i don’t respect her..she cheats..she just shows up at my backdoor..th nurse..like im an emergency..th codeine starts to sleep w- the shiraz..my blood swirls slowly as she climbs me on th couch..th windows are dark..her tand arm is scentd of cotton and penicillin as it brushes my unshaven cheek..conan starts..i say I need to lie down and she follows my tall and unstable body to th bedroom..

i collapse onto th waterbed..th blood in my arteries pulses thick and slow and she uses each wave for leverage..my consent comes late..to sleep her moans..

Comments:
.

this is a beautiful prose poem, hardy.

over and over you redress these guilty fantasies in something lovely and give them cause for empathy. this is an incredible skill.
 
I'm interested in the response to this poem. I can't help but feel how alarming it would be if the gender roles were reversed.
Cheers
Glenn
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?